The Public Safety Communications Research (PSCR) Division of the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) seeks open-source software frameworks, software tools, data specifications, and data resources that support the development of AI-based analytic tools to support real-time analysis of streaming data from public safety communications and data streams that public safety must monitor to maintain situation awareness.
The kinds of AI software tools of interest support automated data analysis and span the following domains:
- Natural language text processing
- Automated audio and speech processing
- Computer vision and video analytics
- Social media analysis
- Data stream enhancement, optimization, and compression
- GIS data analysis
- Sensor data analysis relevant for public safety
The kinds of data resources of interest (spanning the analytic domains listed above) include:
- Ground-truth-annotated public-safety-relevant datasets for training and testing analytic technologies in the domains listed above
- Typical ground-truth-annotated datasets for training and testing analytic technologies in the domains listed above
- Non-labeled data resources that are highly relevant to public safety use cases
The kinds of data specifications of interest (spanning the analytic domains listed above) include:
- Best practices, open formats, and standards supporting the application of the tools listed above to operational data, especially to public-safety-relevant data types.
The kinds of software frameworks of interest (spanning the analytic domains listed above) include:
- Analytic tool development frameworks – especially for multimodal and real-time tools
- Analytic tool evaluation frameworks
- Streaming data simulation and integration frameworks that support repeatable experiments
- Analytic data annotation and research data management frameworks
Desired Outcome of the Solution
Open-source solutions will provide background into the work that is being done to build a foundation for NIST grant recipients, and to decide how to accelerate those efforts.
Field of Use and Intended Applications
Support real-time analysis of emergency related information contained in all data streams flowing into public safety to maintain situation awareness.
Previously Attempted Solutions
AI-based analytic tools that are centered in forensic or retrospective applications are not of interest.