We are seeking highly durable and efficient bearing design for high speed rotors (30-50krpm) in electrical machines.
Inconsistency of load capacity and speed of ball bearings can cause problems in high speed rotors. An example of existing limitations is a ball bearing ‘61808’ (inner diameter 40mm, outer diameter 52mm, width 7mm) has a limiting speed of 14,000 rpm). Novel bearing designs could provide improvements to performance at higher speeds.
- High Durability (1000 hours at nominal speed / total lifetime 3000h)
- Compact design
- Low drag losses, high efficiency (>99%)
- Cost efficient
- weight (<0.04 kg)
- Low initial breakaway torque (<0.1 Nm)
- axial load: 200N (helical gearing)
- axial load:1200N for 30h
- radial load: 0N (neutral in operational condition)
- radial load (short): <100N (maneuvering)
- Oil or grease lubrication for ball bearings
- Operational temperature range: -40°C to 150°C
- Approximate cost – <6EU at 300,000 pieces per year over 5 years.
Possible solution areas:
All areas considered.
Desired outcome of the solution:
Novel ball bearing design capable of operating at high speeds.