As the leading snack Company, Mondelēz is interested in novel leavening solutions (ingredient and/or process technologies) that enable effective sodium reduction for our baked goods portfolio (savory/salty crackers, sweet cookies).
Sodium-based leavening agents (sodium bicarbonate, SAPP etc.) are commonly used in baked goods to deliver the desired product texture and appearance. Finding alternative solutions that can deliver the same great consumer experience without elevating the pH is of interest to us.
Key Success Criteria
- Technologies that enable eliminating or significant reduction (50+%) of sodium from leavening
- Technology should
- Be approved for use in Bakery products
- Not impact product key sensorial attributes
- Meet clean label requirements
- Be affordable at large scale
- Close to commercialization solutions preferred; however, technologies at all maturities will be considered, provided that a viable pathway to commercialization can be determined
What We Aren’t Interested In
- Potassium based alternatives
Preferred Collaboration types
At this stage, we would prefer ready or close to commercialize solutions, but early development could be discussed with a potential partner.
Related Tech Needs
Seeking: Natural systems for reduction in pesticides, fungicides, and fertilizers on key crops
Seeking: Bioinformatics and other data-mining tools for food-related biological systems
Seeking: Resilient sensors for crop monitoring in the field and robotic application of control agents
Photo Credit: congerdesign from Pixabay