PepsiCo is looking for natural sweeteners and technologies for sugar reduction in beverages.
Solutions of interest include:
- New high-intensity sweeteners such as sweet proteins, mogroside derivatives, etc.
- Brazzein -Monellin -Thaumatin
- Mogrosides, new GSGs (glycosylated steviol glycoside), and/or phenolic compounds
- Novel natural sweeteners and/or sweet enhancers/modifiers that better support existing sugar reduction efforts or function as stand-alone technologies.
- Bioconversion and/or fermentation technologies that address sensory, stability, and cost challenges associated with high-intensity sweeteners.
Sugar reduction continues to be of high interest to PepsiCo. We are always searching for novel sweeteners and technologies to reformulate, grow, and protect core brands and enhance consumer acceptance in a cost-effective manner.
- Safe for consumption, with available safety data for toxicology effects
- Water soluble
- Acceptable taste profile(no alteration in color, taste, and/or mouthfeel)
- Stable in a low pH (2.7-3.2) beverage at ambient temperatures for 6-9 months (stable to light, heat, no sedimentation,or phase separation, no or minimal impact on flavor of finished beverage during shelf life)
- Stable after thermal processes (Hot Fill: 200-205F for 33 seconds; Tunnel: 160-165F for 10 minutes; Aseptic: 280F for 4 seconds). At a minimum, compatible with a cold fill preserved process.
- Ingredient shelf-life minimum 6 months required
- Path to regulatory approval in the US, Canada, and/or Europe
- Acceptable cost in use (cost index)
- Generally Recognized as Safe (GRAS)or Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association (FEMA) of the United States
- Ingredient shelf-life 12 months or more
- Ingredient name is consumer friendly and can be classified on product labels as a “natural” source
Approaches not of Interest
PepsiCo has access to a variety of sugar reduction tools. For this brief, in scope are breakthrough ingredients that have significant advancement beyond PepsiCo’s knowledge. Cross-category leverage is encouraged if it fits beverage applications.
Preferred Collaboration Type:
PepsiCo is open to a range of collaboration types
Resources Available when collaborating with PepsiCo
- Expertise: SME consult on ingredient application in PepsiCo beverage model.
- Technologies: Test under Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA)
- Facilities: Access and ability to use PepsiColab and pilot scale-up facilities
- Funding: Project co-work funding is dependent on proof of concept. Preference will be given to an integrated team that has all the capabilities needed to develop the model.
Related Tech Needs:
- Pepsico Seeking: Methodologies to Validate Postbiotics Functional Benefits From Plant-based Fermentations
- PepsiCo Seeking: Ingredient Encapsulation Technologies for Beverages
- Pepsico Seeking: Novel Protein Solutions for Beverages