Closed: No Longer Accepting Submissions
The project aim is to enable PepsiCo to meet the goal of cutting 40% of GHG emissions (against a 2015 baseline) by 2030 and achieve 100% net zero emissions by 2040. At this point, PepsiCo has achieved 25% GHG reduction with current technology without compromising performance and with little impact on cost.
PepsiCo is seeking creative solutions, innovative design idea, out of the box thinking for entire system to create Next Generation Sustainable Cooler that meets these sustainability goals stated above. Additionally, PepsiCo is seeking to understand emerging technologies big idea in this space that may be ready for commercialization within 5 years to achieve these goals. PepsiCo is open to a broad range of solutions to reduce cooler GHG emissions that can apply throughout a cooler’s lifecycle, from manufacturing through to end-of-life.
Solutions may include novel designs not only related to refrigeration system but also include other systems such as: New Alternative material, design construction of the cooler, ways to disrupt current design, eliminating the foam…etc
In a simple way this exercise is to answer the question: What is the next Gen sustainable cooler for Pepsico should be?
Key focus areas:
- Innovative design ideas of the cooler that include but not limited to new alternative materials or components,
- Design Idea related to creating new coolers from clean sheet design
- Big ideas to reduce energy and emission for entire life cycle that meet GHG goals.
- Ability to cool contents quickly within specification, at the same rate as current technology
- Applicable to all cooler styles –front opening swinging/sliding door, top opening door, etc.
- Cradle to grave solution – Sustainably sourced materials & technology with an environmentally sound end of life solution
Nice to Have
- Commercial refrigeration technology
- Technology that may be transferred to Vending Machines
- Available/Mature technology tested in coolers, will consider developing technology
Possible Collaboration Types
PepsiCo is seeking partners to work together on the Next Gen sustainable cooler. Collaboration types are to be negotiated and PepsiCo will consider solutions from early stage ideas technology to commercially ready technologies.