Plastic glazing (PG) would be lighter in weight to save fuel and be safer than glass. Our client is looking for hard coating technology on the PG for automotive applications to replace glass windows. They would also like to receive a license of such coating technologies (includes materials, processes, etc.). Ultimately, they would like to install their own production facility for hard coating on PG.Our client is looking for hard coating technology on the PG for automotive applications to replace glass windows.Click To Tweet
For plastic glazing in automotive application we are looking for transparent resin surface hard coat technologies. Forming a hard coat and glass-like coat by Plasma CVD methods are well-known technologies. However, the technology is complicated batch process, resulting in high cost. Therefore, we are looking for new process technologies such as the formation of a hard coat in a single process.
- R43 Class L (Haze should not exceed 2% after 1,000 abrasion cycles)
- Heat resistance: 100 degrees Celsius for 1000hrs
- Weather resistance: We aim to set durability against 10 years outdoor exposure.
- Strong preference on processes with flow coat of wet coating or spray coat
(Vapor process such as Plasma CVD, PVD are not the right solutions, because those are high cost batch processes, not continuous flow processes.)
- Applicable to surfaces of large size PG parts with 3D structure
- We will send 3D product/part to the technology providers for coating process for sample evaluation purpose. If the coating of the sample satisfies our requirement, then the coating technology may be transferred to us through license / know-how transfer for implementation.
- Base substrate is Polycarbonate (PC) or PMMA.
- The coating must be transparent.
Possible solution areas
- Building/architectural material manufacturers
- Coating related industries (e.g. chemicals, materials, paints, silicone, plastics, etc.), g. alumina oxide
- Coating users (e.g. optical lens manufacturers, semiconductor packaging, etc. It is most likely that these applications are too high cost.)
Field of use and intended applications
Hard coat on Plastic Glazing (PG) for automotive applications
Desired outcome of the solution
The coating should not create cracks. Due to the difference of linear expansion coefficient between the coating material and the substrate (PC, PMMA). Countermeasure to prevent cracks is required.