As part of our pep+ strategy, PepsiCo has set out to cut usage of virgin plastic from non-renewable sources per serving across our beverage portfolio by 50%. This includes reducing our absolute tonnage of virgin plastic derived from non-renewable sources by 20%. We aim to achieve this is by multiple approaches including the use of market-leading bio-based materials.
One example of PepsiCo’s strategy in this area is the development of a paper bottle for our beverages that is fully recyclable in paper stream.
PepsiCo is seeking technologies for a re-closable fiber-based closure for a paper beverage bottle that can be recycled in the paper stream.
Key Success Criteria
The following are requirements for the fiber-based closure:
- Closure can resist breakdown and deterioration from liquids and liquid contact
- Uses only food-safe materials (capable of achieving FDA and equivalent regulatory approval)
- Does not negatively impact recycling of package in paper stream
- Must be re-closable and re-sealable (preventing leaking)
- Is dimensionally stable post manufacturing (in a range of temperatures and humidity conditions) to provide seal integrity with the bottle neck finish (Dimensional tolerance range comparable to HDPE closures)
- Does not impact organoleptic or sensory attributes of the bottle contents
- FDA food contact approved
- Has oxygen barrier
- Can be manufactured to various standard finish specifications and sizes for beverages, e.g., 28mm, 33mm, 38mm etc.
- Can be manufactured to different closure designs (threaded, snap-fit, tethered, tamper evident feature)
- Compatibility with high-speed filling and capping equipment traditionally used in beverage fill plants
- Can be manufactured in a range of colors and textures
- Preferable to complete proof of concept within 6-18 months.
Approaches Not of Interest
- Multilayered solutions with mixed materials, e.g., liquid carton board
- Purely lignin-based structure
Preferred collaboration Type
- PepsiCo is open to a range of collaboration types
Resources Available when collaborating with PepsiCo
- Access to PepsiCo expertise – Work directly with PepsiCo’s team of scientists and engineers with deep experience in materials science, packaging and bringing new products to market at massive scale.
- Funding: Up to $100,000 USD is available for a proof-of-concept, with additional potential funding for further development.
Related Tech Needs:
- PepsiCo Seeking: Ingredient Encapsulation Technologies for Beverages
- Pepsico Seeking: Novel Protein Solutions for Beverages
- Pepsico Seeking: Tech to Reduce Salt Perception of Electrolytes