A yet2 client is seeking a microbial field test for industrial water applications. Solutions that are quantitative, compact and portable (on-site testing) are of high interest.
Bacteria can create numerous issues for industrial water applications whether from loss of heat transfer efficiency through fouling or through contamination by disease-causing microbes. Existing methodologies for detecting bacteria count in water rely on cumbersome laboratory testing and lengthy incubation periods. Therefore, technologies are needed that can facilitate rapid and proactive on-site microbial field tests.
The ideal solution will be:
- Small – portable or able to be carried by a sales engineer to the customer site
- Ruggedized – able to tolerate exposure to a wide range of temperatures and conditions while on-site
- Able to detect numerous types of bacteria (i.e., multiplex capability) associated with industrial water applications, including but not limited to:
- Total bacteria
- Sulfate reducing/oxidizing
- Acid producing
- Slime forming
- Iron reducing
- User-friendly – requires minimal training and less sample preparation
- Rapid – results in under 3 hours
- Accurate and provide low false negative rates
Comparable Solution Areas
- PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction)
- qPCR (quantitative PCR)
- Flow cytometry
- Biofouling sensors
Desired outcome of the solution
Open to a range of options including licensing, development, or purchasing a commercially available system.
Field of use and intended applications
Industrial water systems