A yet2 client is seeking materials and manufacturing methods for improving the durability and strength of large plastic parts. Potential solutions must offer improvements to the structural integrity of the product, while maintaining high corrosion resistance and being cost effective.
Our client’s product is currently made from injection molded plastic and is used in industrial water treatment applications. As the product is scaled up to larger dimensions, it becomes more challenging to produce parts which can withstand applied loads without bending, deforming, cracking or otherwise degrading. They are therefore seeking innovative materials and manufacturing breakthroughs that might be used to improve the durability and strength of their product.
- Improve durability and strength
- Result in solutions that can withstand regular loading for at least 30 years.
- Result in solutions that do not expand or contract at temperatures between 0 – 60°
- Be applied to a scale of several 100 units of product per year.
- Result in solutions that are corrosion resistant.
- Not require any fundamental changes to the design of the product
- Be made of plastic with/without additional re-enforcement material
Possible Solution Areas include (but are not limited to):
- Metal, high-strength plastic and/or fibre reinforcement solutions
- Reinforcement integration methods
- Plastic manufacturing techniques that increase product strength
Related Tech Needs