PepsiCo is seeking bio-based/biodegradable coating and adhesive solutions for flexible PHA films used in food packaging to achieve our sustainability goals of 100% recyclable, compostable, biodegradable, or reusable (RCBR compliant) materials and 20% greenhouse gas emission (GHG) reduction by 2030.
- The adhesive, primer coating, or over-print varnish (OPV) should be at the least industrially compostable, preferably tested successfully for home compostability
- Laminating adhesive should have good adhesion to metal and ink (bond strength of > 50 gf/inch)
- Adhesive should be water-based, preferably solvent-less, and applicable on a flexo line. Solvent-based adhesive solutions are less preferable.
- Primer coatings are preferably water-based, but solvent-based solutions are acceptable. Need to be functional coatings for anchoring metal or provide enhanced barrier. Coatings should be applicable on our films by roll coating processes.
- OPV should be applicable on the gravure printing line and can be water- or solvent-based
- Bio-based materials
- Solvent-free coating technologies
- Matte OPVs
- Compost compatible inks
Past Work and Out of Scope List
- Familiar with nano-cellulose, but recent advances are welcome
Preferred Collaboration Types
PepsiCo is open to a range of collaboration types, but proof of concept is required.
Related Tech Needs