An optical devices manufacturer seeks to improve the reliability of flip chip soldered components by increasing the reliability of solder joints and solder-bonded chips.
In order to meet increasing worldwide demand for large amounts of data transmission, it is essential to densely integrate optical functional devices that process large capacity and high-speed optical signals.
Silicon photonics is a key technology that creates fine optical waveguide structures in silicon and integrates devices with various functions into one small chip. This makes it possible to achieve ultra-miniaturization and low power consumption in high-speed optical devices.
In silicon photonics, optical amplification and laser diodes are key technical capabilities, because it is not possible to achieve this in silicon-based material. Therefore, a new integrated silicon photonic chip on which III-V compound semiconductors are flip-chip bonded is expected to be a technological breakthrough.
Partner will have experience in:
- III-V compound semiconductors such as optical amplifiers and laser beam generators (semiconductor optical amplifiers, laser diodes, photo diode, and so on)
- Die bonding on silicon mounting substrate (or carrier) with AuSn bump formed thereon
- Failure analysis and improving the conditions of bump junctions of III-V compound semiconductors such as lasers and semiconductor optical amplifiers.
Solution will have the following capability:
- Optimization of bump structure and bonding conditions suitable for mass production
- Sufficient reliability testing to ensure long-term reliability of bump junction and III-V compound semiconductors which are flip-chip bonded on silicon chips
Possible Solution Areas
- EMS company focusing on optical device products such as semiconductor lasers
- Equipment manufacturers of high-precision flip-chip bonders
- MEMS foundry
Desired Outcome of the Solution
Partnership/collaboration opportunities with organizations/companies having improved solder joint and solder-bonded technologies who specialize in development and mass production.
Related Tech Needs
Seeking: Technologies to Improve Flip-Chip Bonding Accuracy
Seeking: Copackaged Integrated Circuits for Optical Transceivers
Seeking: Tech to ID Early-Stage Failure of Optical Components
Seeking: High Frequency Test for Optical Communications Devices
Seeking: Rapid Assembly Tech for Optical Communication Devices